Biro Klasifikasi Indonesia (BKI) remained the fourth Asian classification agencies after Japan, China and Korea, and the only one national classification agency in charge of making a classification of Indonesian flagged and foreign flagged commercial vessels regularly operating in Indonesian waters.
BKI has been conducting the vessel classification based on hull construction, machinery, and electricity installation, in a bid to evaluate vessel’s merit to sail. In addition, BKI has been entrusted by the Government to conduct surveys and statutory certifications in the name of the Government of the Republic of Indonesia, inter alia, Load Line, ISM Code and ISPS Code Certifications.
BKI was established by implementing technical standards in the activities of design and construction as well as maritime surveys related to floating facilities, including vessels and offshore construction. These standards were prepared and issued by BKI as technical publications. A vessel designed and built based on the BKI standards would obtain a Classification Certificate issued by BKI after BKI completed a set of requisite classification surveys.
As an independent Classification Agency which was self-regulatory, BKI had no interest in commercial aspects related to the design, building, ownership, operation, management, maintenance/repair, insurance or leasing of the vessel. BKI also conducted research and development for the purpose of enhancing technical quality and standards which were published to the stakeholders of vessel classification services.
Considering the increasing activities and development, as well as the promising business prospect, in 1977, as owner, the Government then changed the BKI status into a limited company or PT (Persero), in a bid to make it more independent in running the business.
This status was legalized through issuance of Government Regulation No.1/1977 regarding the Change in the Status of Biro Klasifikasi Indonesia from a State-owned into a limited company or PT (Persero).
BKI was established to minimize the Indonesian foreign exchange for the inspection services of domestic vessels and to support the independence of the Indonesian maritime industry. BKI, supported by cooperation with Germansicher Lloyd, Germany, has been currently a major national classification agency. Until now, in addition to the Classification services, BKI has developed its business activities in the field of Consultancy and Supervision services.
BKI, with its headquarters located in Jakarta, has a network of branches in major ports throughout Indonesia and Singapore. BKI also has established cooperation with Foreign Classification Agencies, both in the form of Mutual Representative and Dual Class.
To serve as a basis in managing the Company, especially in implementing the missions and tasks, the Company upholds several principles as follows:
- Prioritize the service quality based on high commitment to safety issues;
- Keep improving the quality of the Company’s Human Resources consistently and sustainably;
- Quick respond to the updated science and technology, especially those related to the safety of vessels and production equipment in the fields of oil and gas, mineral, coal and geothermal, labors, industry and transportation.
To improve the Company’s reputation and values by:
- Prioritize the safety of passengers and assets at sea as well as environmental protection through development and inspection of vessel standards and other related facilities
- Build Good Corporate Image through awareness on how BKI services are necessary and been becoming quality standards and reference;
- Provide opportunity to national maritimeexperts to participate in the development of science and knowledge as well as opportunity to get experience; and
- Manage the Company effectively and efficiently through the Good Corporate Governance.Provide contribution to increase the state income, both in Rupiah and foreign exchange;
Employees’ good personality based on ethics and continuously striving for the truth in honesty, discipline, leadership, and high dedication to up hold the Company’s reputation.
Every employee must be highly committed to achieving best results and exceeding the target goals by making continuous innovations and improvement.CooperationEmployees must put their endeavors to unite the capabilities and explore potentialities of every person by achieving synergy and establishing teamwork to reach mutual objectives through empirical, proactive, trustworthy and transparent attitude and behavior.
Employees must have attitude and behavior which are friendly, hospitable, polite, sincere and proactive in providing services for the customer satisfaction.
Employees must play an active role in preserving natural, working and business environment, maintaining good relationship with working partners and community, creating fair and good working atmosphere as well as prioritizing occupational health and safety.
Employees must provide service users with quality products and excellent services for the customer satisfaction based on the purpose of work ethic, namely taking immediate actions as well as being responsive, disciplined, hard-working, honest and unprejudiced.
The Company is a State-owned Enterprise (SoE) in the form of a Limited Liability Company (PT) which is engaged in the field of the vessel classification and operated in the sea territory of the Republic of Indonesia. In the provision of the services, the Company conducts research as well as publishes and implements technical standards (Rules & Regulation) by making design and construction and conducting maritime surveys related to vessels, including floating facilities. These standards are prepared and issued by the Company as Technical Publications. The Rules & Regulation developed are not only regarding the hull construction structure, but also safety equipment, machinery and electricity installation.
Based on its Statute, the Company’s scope of business is as follows:
|Vessel Classification and Registration, namely:
|Inspection, supervision, and examination of vessel construction as well as issuance of class certificate;
|Inspection and examination of floating equipment and offshore construction facilities;
|Examination and certification of materials and components;
|Examination and issuance of qualification certificates of welder, welding inspector and other welding experts;
|Inspection and certification in the Statutory Certification based on authorization both from the Government of the Republic of Indonesia and foreign governments;
|Acting as an agent and or representing the foreign classification agencies/consultants;
|Supervision of quality control system of the Company’s products and services related to the vessel building.
|Consultancy and Supervision
|Conducting Consultancy and Supervision in marine and industrial fields of oil and gas, Geo-thermal and mining in general;
|Conducting evaluation, preparation and supervision in marine technology and industrial fields of oil and gas, geothermal and mining in general
|Conducting evaluation of materials and components;
|Conducting consultancy of engineering based on domestic/international standards
|Holding training of technical and non-technical skills in marine technology and industrial fields of oil and gas, geothermal and mining in general;
|Conducting technical certification in general;
|Carrying out engineering, construction and non-construction contracting services in industrial fields of installations of oil and gas, geothermal and mining in general.
|In addition to those major business activities, the Company also carries out business activities in order to optimize the utilization of the Company’s resources of properties, offices, apartments, and hospitality.
The Company has obtained authorization from the Government of the Republic of Indonesia and foreign governments to conduct evaluation and certification in the field of statutory certifications, including Load-line Certification, Safety Construction Certification, Fitness Chemical/Gas Carrier in Bulk Certification, International Safety Management (ISM) Code certification, International Ship and Port Facility Security (ISPS) Code Certification, Condition Assessment Scheme (CAS) Certification as well as Annexes IV and VI and of Marpol 73/78 Certifications.
As the classification agency and a service provider, the Company conducts the evaluation in compliance with the Rules & Regulation in an objective, professional and independent manner over the interests of the stakeholders and shareholders as well as gives the results of the Company’s technical evaluation, namely:
- For the Government—in this case, the Ministry of Transportation, BKI participates to play an active role in ensuring the sea worthiness of the vessels in Indonesia and serves as a basis for the Port Masters to issue a vessel clearance.
- For the Government—in this case, the Ministry of SoE (as the solely shareholder), BKI as a SoE is managed fairly and profitable. However, in accordance with the Company’s business nature, this targeted profit does not limit the Company’s role and missions as the classification agency which is mandated for safety mission.
- For the Vessel Owner, the survey results are prepared to be a vessel maintenance program and its classification certificate serves as a basis for vessel insurance and guarantee for vessel user.
- For Shipper, the classification certificate is one of the guarantees that his goods are transported by a safe vessel and he complies with safety requirements.
- For dry-dock, BKI sets minimum standards for the building, maintenance and repair of the vessels as well as its work quality in order to improve image of the dry-dock against its partners.
- For industries of vessel machinery, materials, components and other supporting industries, BKI gives the technical standards of its products related to the safety and image of its producers; and
- For insurance companies/financial institutions, BKI’s evaluation results serve as objective reference for technical conditions of the vessel as a basis for determining insurance premiums and credit extension approvals by financial institutions.
The stakeholder who directly submits a customer application/request to the Company is the Vessel Owner, Dry-dock and Machinery/ Material/Component Industry requiring a certification of the vessel or related Machinery/Component/Material. The Company’s surveyor will conduct the survey and examination in a professional manner in compliance with the requirements of the Company’s Rules & Regulation. In case of being compliance with the requirements, the Company will issue a certificate and a survey report.
The applicant subsequently uses the Certificate and Survey Report issued by the Company to be used as a basis or reference for other stakeholders, namely:a. For the Port Master, as a basis for one of elements of sea worthiness of the vessel and vessel clearance at the port.b. For the insurance companies/financial institutions, as a basis for determining insurance premiums/claims and credit extension approvals by financial institutions.
The Company has duties and authority to suspend or withdraw the classification status of a vessel based on classification requirements reference. The vessel may lose its classification status, either temporarily or permanently. Similarly, for the vessel failing to conduct periodical survey on time in accordance with the Classification Regulation, the Company as the Classification Agency will suspend the classification status of the vessel automatically.
The Company fully plays a role as the Certification Agency, and not as a law enforcer. The Company conducts the survey and certification at the request of the stakeholder and the Company cannot detain the vessel. The function of Law Enforcement is the Government’s full authority, in this case, Port Master or Port State Control Officer (PSCO).
The applicant subsequently uses the Certifacate and SUrvey Report issued by the Company to be used as a basis or reference for other stakeholder, namely:
- For the Port Master, as a basis for one of elements of sea worthiness of vessel anda vessel clereance at the port.
- For the insurance companies/financial institutions, as a basis for determining insurance premiums/claims and credit extension approvals by financial institution